Operations Manager / Registered Home Manager
Website Independence Way
Independence Way is a semi-independent provider of accommodation and bespoke support for 16 to 18 year olds. We encourage our young people to aim high and to develop a positive mind-set towards life.
Independence Way is looking for a full time Operations Manager/ Registered Home Manager for
our Semi-Independent Accommodation for Young People. We have services in Sutton and in
the Guildford area of Surrey, and the manager will be visiting these on a regular basis. This post will report to the Director.
Our service provision is broadly aimed at preparing our young people to live independently in
the community post-18. The projects support vulnerable care leavers and asylum seekers, aged
16 – 21, living within semi-independent accommodation.
The successful candidate will be caring, patient, well organised and self-motivated, with excellent time management and communication skills and a strong desire to help young people develop to their full potential.
Possession of a driver’s licence is necessary; mileage will be paid or a vehicle will be provided.
There will be the need for some occasional unsocial hours working in emergency situations.
There will be an expectation of the Operations Manager visiting the various projects,
having oversight of staff, providing supervision, appraisal and training; dealing with any
concerns raised by residents, or complaints by external organisations; and ensure that the
projects have the resources they need to meet their objectives. An important part of the
role will be scrutinising the monthly reports written by keyworkers for each of the young
people, and supporting staff to make improvements where required, so that the reports
accurately outline for funders the progress made by our residents towards independence.
The reports may also highlight particular situations that may indicate safeguarding
concerns, or a breakdown in relationship between resident and keyworker, and early
intervention by the Manager to address this will be required. Policies will need to be
reviewed and kept up to date, in line with changes to legislation and recognised good
The right candidate will:
- Be educated to at least NVQ level 5 in Leadership in Social Care or Children’s and
Young People’s Services, or with other relevant professional qualification such as
- Be responsible for safeguarding the young people in our care and understand
how and when to raise concerns
- Take deliberate initiatives to develop appropriate, supportive and responsive
relationships with young people, some of who may present challenging
- Provide support to young people in crisis, and assess the need for referral to or
intervention by other agencies, such as Mental Health or Children’s Social Care
- Build positive relationships with external agencies and stake-holders including
- Have good administrative, IT and organisational skills, and a good command of
written and spoken English
- Be able to write regular reports and support staff to develop report writing skills
- Provide professional induction, supervision, appraisal and training to staff teams
- Prepare staff rotas, and ensure that cover is arranged for staff leave and sickness
- Have oversight of premises inspections, maintenance and stock levels to ensure
facilities are appropriate and safe for the residents
- Once we are registered with Ofsted, become the Service’s Registered Manager
and along with the Director, take on the designated safeguarding lead role.
To apply applicants should initally contact Ben Izekor (Director of Operations) via firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.